Saturday, June 23, 2012

15 Month Update

Dear G –

Holy cow, how are you fifteen months old already? You are growing up entirely too fast, but I have been enjoying every minute of it. You are at such a fun stage right now. It amazes me every day how much you are learning. I think something new comes out of your mouth daily and you are showing off some new skill, just about as often. I can hardly keep up.

You continue to talk up a storm and have quite the vocabulary for someone your age. Aside from all those words, which I’ll get to in just a minute, the expressions behind some of them are just hilarious. You make me laugh all the time and brighten my day in an instant. :) Within the last month or so, you have really increased the words you are spouting out. It takes me by complete surprise when you spit out a new one or connect the word with the meaning. We have slowly been learning the body parts. So far you know where your nose, ear, hair, mouth, toes and belly are. You can even say nose, and is the most adorable sound coming out of your mouth right now. I must ask you 50 times a day where you nose is, just so that you will say it. MELT. Along with speaking words, you also know how to use some sign language like More, which you can also say, Done, which I think you said last night, and sometimes, Eat and Drink. Other words that you say regularly are book, duck, Gus, ball, nite nite, bye bye, uh-oh (best facial expression), bath, bird, puppy, mama, da, Elmo, baby, boom. We have also been working on animal sounds most recently and you know that a cow says “Moo” and a dog says “Woof”. It will be fun hearing you make the sounds of a sheep and pig :) Lastly and perhaps even more noteworthy is that you are putting two words together. You often point at something and say “Whas ah?,” clearly forming the question asking what something is. I know parenthood would be amazing be it is even more miraculous watching it unfold at each step.

Reading books is still one of your favorite things to do. Your favorite book right now is one called Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones. It is the last thing we read together before you go to bed at night and it is the first thing you point to in the morning when I come in to get you up. If we sit down and read a couple pages, it gets up and ready for the day with a happy disposition. Along with books you are still into playing with a ball of any size or shape. We have several different size rubber balls that you like to pick up and run around the house or yard with. Sometimes you will play catch with mom or dad and other times, you will just throw the ball and run after it yourself. I love that you can entertain yourself, though that doesn’t happen all the time and even when you are, I better be within your line of sight or the tears come running quick :) (Yes, you are still a momma’s boy). Aside from the balls and the books, you are getting into pushing your toy trucks around and putting stuff in the back of them. You even make truck noises…another thing that makes my heart melt. Recently we got you a water table to play in. This was a better alternative to the 5 gallon bucket option we had before. Although you end up a soaking wet mess, if we give you a bucket of water, something to scoop it with and sometimes even throw in a few ice cubes, you can entertain yourself for a long time….now if only we could find a way to keep you away from the garden hose since that is your newest fascination when outside.

As I mentioned in your 13 month updated, you had started walking. You are cruising around everywhere and that walk is getting closer and closer to being a run. I can still keep up with you, but I am sure as you grow and this new baby belly grows, that will become more difficult. Although you are constantly on the move, I can keep pace with you for now. Your most recent mobility achievement has been the climbing. You have mastered going up and down the steps (full sets of steps) although I am still right there beside you just in case (not being quite that trusting yet). You have also mastered climbing up onto the couch and other furniture. The other day, much to my surprise, you actually were able to climb into your booster chair, clearly telling me you were hungry. Although you can’t climb onto the bed yet, you have no problem climbing down. Early on we taught you to turn around and go backwards down a step and that is how you attempt getting down from everywhere. So thankfully, there have been no forward, head banging falls for you. I fear that your next feat will be climbing out of the crib. I pray that one holds off for quite some time. I like that you can still be contained in that one area in the morning :)

As for teeth, you now have 15 of those pearly whites. Your 3rd eye tooth popped through the other day, leaving just one more to deal with. Surprisingly the eye teeth coming in haven’t been as bad as when your molars came in. I had heard from many people that they would be worse, but you are handling them like a champ. Even more important now is to keep up with brushing those teeth, but getting into your mouth to “brush” is a challenge morning and night. I fear that I am tramatizing you with the fight to do it every night, because you scream and cry. I even asked your Dr if I was “ruining” teeth brushing for you, but she said to keep up what we were doing and eventually you would get it and want to take over yourself. I am not sure I fully believe her, but continue with the wash cloth we do. I have given you your own toothbrush to play with and get used to the feeling, but you usually just end up chewing on the wrong end and not doing what you should be doing with it anyhow. Oh well, we’ll figure it out some day :)

Given all those teeth you have, you are now pretty much eating anything and everything. There are definitely things you will spit out from time to time, but I continue to introduce them at a later date and you usually come around and like them. At the moment, your favorite foods seem to be strawberries and watermelon, frozen peas and tacos. You have no problem eating by yourself with finger food size pieces, but that just isn’t cool anymore…you are a big boy and you want to use a fork or spoon or eat a full size item like mom and dad. For instance, eating a taco, we make a full wrap for you and then hold the whole thing, while you take bites from it, just like the adults. If I try to break it up into smaller bite size pieces, forget it, it will just sit on your plate while you grab for the same thing that we are eating. Same thing goes with a hotdog or hamburger. If I cut it up into pieces you can grab, you won’t eat it, but if you get to bite into it, bun and all, you will eat the whole thing and more. No matter what you are eating, you can definitely put it down. Your dad and I joke that we need to start making double meals, because you are eating the same size portions, if not more, than we are at times. You just keep eating and eating, many times literally trying to shove everything on your tray into your mouth as fast as you can. You often look like a chipmunk storing up food for winter. At your most recent checkup, I asked the Dr if this was OK, if I could keep letting you eat until you were done and she said to keep up what we were doing, that you are clearly a healthy and growing boy and we should follow your lead. Boy oh boy do I fear our grocery bill in the future.

As usual, I could go on and on and on and on (you get the point) about you, so I’ll end the update with your recent stats and an updated picture. At your 15 month appt, you weighed in at 24#12oz. putting you in the 52nd percentile for weight. For height you came in at 33.25 inches, putting you in the 95th percentile for that category. I can’t believe you grew 2 inches in just 3 months. That rate of growth is just crazy….I know it is normal, but wow! Looking forward to continue watching you shoot up in the future!

Love Forever,
Your Mom



(and yes, it is still difficult to get a picture of this boy with the bear....he is infatuated with the little chalkboard and always has to have it in his hands. At least you can see the size of him compared to  the bear to see how much he has grown)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment