I feel like a broken record saying this lately, but where does time go? You are growing up at an astounding rate! I wish I could find the cosmic pause button, or at least the slow motion button, so I could relish this time just a little bit longer. I know these days are going to be in the past before we realize it, so I am trying to enjoy every minute. Part of me wants to log and record every minute, so I have it to play back later, but the other part of me wants to just be present and enjoy the moment with you. Lately I seem to have been erring on the side of “just being present and enjoying the moment,”which explains why I have been severely slacking on this blog and why I am once again a week late on your monthly update.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
5 Months
Dear Garett –
I feel like a broken record saying this lately, but where does time go? You are growing up at an astounding rate! I wish I could find the cosmic pause button, or at least the slow motion button, so I could relish this time just a little bit longer. I know these days are going to be in the past before we realize it, so I am trying to enjoy every minute. Part of me wants to log and record every minute, so I have it to play back later, but the other part of me wants to just be present and enjoy the moment with you. Lately I seem to have been erring on the side of “just being present and enjoying the moment,”which explains why I have been severely slacking on this blog and why I am once again a week late on your monthly update.

I feel like a broken record saying this lately, but where does time go? You are growing up at an astounding rate! I wish I could find the cosmic pause button, or at least the slow motion button, so I could relish this time just a little bit longer. I know these days are going to be in the past before we realize it, so I am trying to enjoy every minute. Part of me wants to log and record every minute, so I have it to play back later, but the other part of me wants to just be present and enjoy the moment with you. Lately I seem to have been erring on the side of “just being present and enjoying the moment,”which explains why I have been severely slacking on this blog and why I am once again a week late on your monthly update.
I don’t even know where to start with all the things you are up to these days:
For starters, you are talking up a storm. You focus so intently on us when we speak to you and I can almost see the little wheels turning in your head as you try to mimic all the words and sounds that we say to you. Your words come out in high screeches, low gurgles and many other tones in between. It is one of the sweetest sounds I have ever heard. I could literally listen to you for hours. Your favorite place to chat continues to be your changing pad, either during a diaper change or when I am getting you ready for your bath.
Personality wise, you continue to be a happy and content baby. Although you take most situations in stride, you can cry with the best of them when something isn’t quite right. With not quite right usually being hungry or overtired, but sometimes I think just because you want to cuddle with mom. Mornings are your happy time. You generally wake up and start cooing in your crib. When I come in to get you for the day, you reward me with the biggest smile and often start in on a “conversation.”I don’t think there could be any better way to start my day...
Rolling over has become a common occurrence for you. However, I have learned that unlike most babies who roll from their belly to their back first, you have conquered the more difficult maneuver, by rolling from your back to your belly instead. We hope you catch on to that move quick enough, because you still get unhappy when on your tummy and given your tendency to roll yourself into that position, we often have to come to the rescue and roll you back over, or listen to your cries of frustration. Mean as it is, I let you work at it a little bit in the hopes that if you get mad enough, you will figure it out.
Sleep: Due to your inclination to roll over, I find you sleeping on your belly more often than not. Not only do you immediately roll over when we put you to bed, you have this habit of burying your face into the mattress, yes, forehead cradled on your arms and nose and mouth planted straight down. If it were not for your Angelcare monitor, this would stress me out greatly and I don’t think I would get any sleep. I am thankful on a daily basis for making that investment. As for sleep duration, you alternate between getting up for one late night feeding, to almost sleeping through the night, and by that I mean from 7:30 pm to 5:00 or 6:00 am. Yes, we have had to let you cry it out a few times if you wake up before 1 or 2 am, and it kills me every time….it definitely doesn’t get any easier and I have to fight with myself every time you stir to keep from going into your room. Even as I write this, you are whimpering from your crib. Sorry buddy, but you’ve only been in bed for 3 hours and now mommy needs her sleep too!!
Chewing; and I mean chewing! About a month ago, your two bottom front teeth popped through. Since then the drooling has slowed down a bit (at least until the next one decides to come in) but EVERYTHING continues to go in your mouth…your bib, burp rag, stuffed animals, clothes, fingers (yours or anyone else’s you can get ahold of) and especially your toes. Ever since you discovered those 10 cute lower digits, they are almost always in your mouth and it is so cute to see. (If I was only half that flexible, I would be happy)
Up until last week, you were exclusively breastfed. We only started cereal a few days ago, but I will leave details of that adventure for a separate post or your 6 month update. I plan to continue breastfeeding as long as you are interested…or up until your first birthday. I truly enjoy that special time with just the two of us and love that only I can provide what is best for you. I love to rub your ears, stroke your face and head and kiss your hands as you eat. Though lately you become very easily distracted while eating and will often pull away from the breast to gaze around the room or up at me. Once you realize you have my attention, you get the biggest smile on your face and then go back to eating…until you decide to start the game all over again. It is so hard not to fully engage you during these episodes, because when I do your appetite goes right out the window.
Part of your distracted eating habit comes from your curiosity. It is so fun watching you discover things. Faces are of particular interest lately and you explore them both with your eyes and your hands. When we hold you, you love to put your hands on our face, grabbing at all areas (…this can hurt especially when I haven’t trimmed your nails in the last week.) The eyes and the nose seem to be your favorite parts to manhandle. And when you aren’t grabbing at any particular facial area, you are attentively staring at us instead.
The dog is also an attention grabber for you. If he walks into the room, you can forget whatever you were doing…be it eating, playing and even crying. You follow his movements like a hawk and get a big smile on your face whenever he comes near. In fact, your biggest episode of belly laughs to date was when you were watching Dad and Gus play fetch. You have also tried to explore his face with your hands a few times, but he isn’t as patient and willing to take the abuse as we are and tends to steal out of your grasp and from the room as quickly as he can. I am sure you will be of much more interest to him when you have the ability to throw him a ball. Then you truly will be his best friend :)
Ultimately, I could go on and on and on, but I’ll save the rest for your 6 month update (which will hopefully be more timely than this one). You continue to be the light of our lives. As always, I look forward to years of watching you grow and learn… just do me a favor and don’t do it so fast!
Love,
Mom

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment