Saturday, February 5, 2011

Up North-Ice Fishing Weekend

The long awaited and anticipated weekend has arrived. As I sit inside, telling this story from the comfort of the couch, keeping the fire going and the cabin warm, the rest of our family is out on the lake; fishing, playing football, four-wheeling, grilling, drinking and just enjoying each other’s company. To say that I am jealous is an understatement. I am jealous as hell that I can’t be out there experiencing this with them. But I feel guilty even admitting that emotion because I don’t want to seem ungrateful, even for a second, for the miraculous reason I can’t join in the fun this year. Never, in a million years, would I give up the reason for not being out there and I know next year will be that much more rewarding when Schmoopie is wrapped tightly in his/her snowsuit and experiencing it with us as well. In the meantime I’ll enjoy the view from the window, with my hand resting upon my belly, feeling the baby move, and daydream about the future memories we’ll make.

Many years ago, when my husband’s grandparents owned the cabin, this weekend was an annual event. Most of the aunt, uncles and cousins would come up for the day or the weekend to ice-fish, sled, snowmobile and spend time together out on the ice-covered lake. In recent years, the tradition had died away, much to my husband’s dismay. Upon our purchase of the property this summer, I knew without a doubt, this was one tradition that would be re-instated. Jeff has been waiting for this weekend ever since then.

In most recent weeks he has been like a kid in a candy store, anxiously counting down the days. I, on the other hand, was anxiously saying many prayers that Schmoopie would stay put, at least until the weekend was over (but hopefully for a little longer). I know how much this weekend means to him, how excited he has been for it and I really wanted everything to go as planned. Most of the family was able to make it and I am thrilled that they are having such a fantastic time. Of course they have all been super to me as well, coming up to visit or bring me food (and to take bathroom breaks…it’s not lost on me that this is likely their major motivation for stopping in :)

As the sun slowly sets, I eagerly await their return. I can’t wait to hear the stories and memories that were made and to see the crazy pictures that were taken. (I’ll wait to make this post until I can share some of them below)

Jeff and his uncles


The Ladies


The Pyramid of Men
It's debatable which pyramid was larger...the beer cans or the men??

Matt & Ashley


Gus...taking a break after losing his frisbee (or maybe he is pouting)


Four wheeling and sledding...










Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Looks like the best time ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! And what's even more fun, is that next year your little one will be there too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww Jaime! What a sweet post. A mom's life is full of sacrifices... you are already showing what a wonderful mom you are. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete