Thursday, July 15, 2010

Heartbeat

We had our first ultrasound today and it couldn't have come soon enough! We got to see and hear our baby's heartbeat and it was the most amazing sound ever!!! I started sobbing right there on the ultrasound table. I even had the tech tearing up!! Seeing/hearing that heartbeat and knowing that baby is measuring on track has definitely given us positive reassurance that things are going well.

And to say that we needed the positive reassurance more now than ever, would be an understatment. Last night after supper I went to the bathroom and there was blood. Not a huge amount, but it was there on the toilet paper...red and mocking me. Along with the blood, I had cramping, of which I had been having some starting earlier in the day. Since it was after hours, I called the local nurse helpline and they had the Dr on call give me a call back. At that point there was nothing to do but wait until our appt and to stay off my feet. I was devastated and feeling pretty negative about our appt this morning. I was fully expecting to have my worst fears confirmed...again.

So to see and hear that heartbeat at 148 bpm was the most beautiful thing in the world!!

During the ultrasound, the tech found evidence of a bleed in the uterine wall. They are not sure what may have caused it, but the tech did say this happens more often with IVF patients and that is likely the cause of the bleeding and cramping last night. My Dr is optimistic that this will not cause a problem and the pregnancy will proceed in a healthy manner, but wants to be safe and is having us come back in again for another appt next week.

Please keep us in your prayers that all continues to go well! We appreciate them more than ever!!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Yippee!!

    The blood sounds scary. Sounds like it's nothing though, thats good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary about the bleeding, but YAY for a great appointment! I'm tearing up reading about it :) I'm praying that the rest of your pregnancy is completely smooth and healthy!!! God knows you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to see and hear your little bean. You are in my prayers daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO great about the heartbeat! So happy for you. Make sure those doctors keep an eye on you and your little person!

    ReplyDelete